* This item is not currently in stock, orders will be fulfilled when the item becomes available.
Throughout the 1960s, Dr. Robert Moog collaborated with over 100 composers of electroacoustic music to create the synthesiser concept, born of thousands of design decisions and countless conversations. At the time, the available method of producing electronic music was the “classical studio,” a makeshift production environment cobbled together from individual electronic sound-generators such as surplus telecommunications devices, radio equipment, and early tape machines. Moog and the musicians he worked with streamlined this classical studio technique into a system of standardised sound modules.
In 1965, Bob Moog began taking orders for individual modules and customised modular systems. By 1967, he and a team of ten skilled technicians were hand-building production models in an unassuming brick storefront in Trumansburg, NY. The cutting-edge musical instruments that they called “synthesisers” signalled electronic music’s maturation from an awkward and shy intruder in the realm of music to a dynamic and significant medium of musical expression. The first models were aptly named Synthesizer I, II, and III. With the introduction of the Moog Synthesizer IIIc -- the “c” referring to the walnut “console” cabinet -- musicians could purchase a complete instrument pre-configured for logical access to a range of facilities usually associated with the largest classical studios.
Each synthesiser took weeks of patient, steady crafting to complete, but the payoff would be rich -- a tool that would change the landscape of music.
The world got turned on to the idea of the synthesiser -- and electronic music -- through the visionary works of experimental musicians like Wendy Carlos and Isao Tomita. Sonic masterpieces like Switched On Bach and Snowflakes Are Dancing were made possible by the early modular Moog Synthesisers. These original modular systems designed by Bob Moog are inimitable in sonic character and remain highly coveted for their limitless configurability and vibrantly organic musicality.
Every Synthesiser IIIc will be built using all-original documentation, art, and circuit board files. Each instrument features thirty-six hand-stuffed, hand-soldered modules, including ten 901-Series audio oscillators, the 984 Matrix Mixer, and the 905 Spring Reverb. All modules are securely mounted into two hand-finished, solid walnut console cabinets at the Moog factory in Asheville, NC.
Moog Synthesiser IIIc production is highly limited. Only 25 units will be produced and sold worldwide.
- Entire system recreated using original documentation, circuit board and art files and traditional manufacturing techniques.
- 36 hand-stuffed, hand-soldered modules custom mounted and hand-wired in two handcrafted, solid walnut cabinets.
- 10x discrete 901 series oscillators
- 905 Spring Reverb module
- 4x CP3 mixers
- 984 4-channel Matrix Mixer
- 100% discrete design
- Only 25 Moog Synthesizer IIIc will be handcrafted and sold worldwide
IMPORTANT NOTE: A new Synthesizer IIIc is built exactly as the originals. It also behaves exactly as the originals, which means tuning instability and susceptibility to interference is inherent to the design.
- 1x 901 Voltage Controlled Oscillator
- 3x 901A Oscillator Controllers
- 9x 901B Oscillators
- 3x 902 Voltage Controlled Amplifiers
- 1x 903A Random Signal Generator
- 1x 904A Voltage Controlled Lowpass Filter
- 1x 904B Voltage Controlled Highpass Filter
- 1x 904C Filter Coupler
- 1x 905 Reverberation Unit
- 3x 911 Envelope Generators
- 1x 911A Dual Trigger Delay
- 1x 912 Envelope Follower
- 1x 914 Extended Range Fixed Filter Bank
- 1x 984 Four Channel Mixer
- 1x 992 Control Voltage/Attenuator Panel
- 1x 993 Trigger & Envelope Voltages Panel
- 4x Console Panel No. 3, each including: 4-input mixer with + and – outputs, 2 Trunklines, Control Voltage Switches, Attenuator, Click Filter
- 1x Console Panel No. 2 including: Lowpass and Highpass Filters, Jack Multiples, 3 Control Voltage and Trigger Outputs
- 1x Console Panel No. 8 including power switch
- 1x 350 Watt 120 VAC or 230 VAC Switch Selectable Power Supply
INCLUDED PATCH CABLES:
- 14x 1’ Cables
- 8x 2’ Cables
- 6x 3’ Cables
- 6x 4’ Cables
- 4x 5’ Cables
- 2x 1’ S-Trigger Cables
- 3x 3’ S-Trigger Cables
- Main Console Cabinet: 48.5” W x 15” H x 14” D
- Upper Console Cabinet – 48.5” W x 9.5” H x 8.5” D
- Item Number: 21106
- Make: Moog
- Model: System 3C
- Condition: Brand New
- Finish: Black
- Categories: keyboards-and-synths ⇒ modular-synths
- Made In: United States
- MPN: MOO-SYSTEM3C